Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Empowered Witness

March 31 2016
Scripture: Luke 24:48-49 (ESV)

The Empowered Witness

"You are witnesses of these things. And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high."

After Jesus' death on the cross, He rose again and appeared to many of His disciples. This encounter He appeared to the twelve apostles and He gave them a mission: that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to the whole world. He wanted the disciples to grasp two co-existing truths. 

The first, that we are witnesses, to testify to the truth. We get to share a part in the great mission of Jesus' Gospel. God loves to and wants to use us to fulfill His mission.

The second, that He will help us. The promise of the power from on high is the promise of the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit who clothes Jesus' followers.
 

We have the Spirit on our side and we are never alone. We do have a part to play, remember we are witnesses, but God is helping us as we do our part. 

Knowing this truth emboldens my actions when it comes to the task of sharing the Gospel, but it also requires me to take a step out. The Holy Spirit doesn't take me over, controlling all my actions, but He helps aid my efforts when I take that step.

"Lord Jesus, thank You that You are not dead but alive and living in me. Please help me to be bold to do my part. I know You will help me along the way. Let every Nation hear of your glorious gospel, and let every neighbor of mine hear and see it in my life as I live for You. Amen!"
The Empowered Witness

No comments:

Post a Comment