Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Temporary Joy Vs. Eternal Joy

March 8th 2016
Scripture Luke 10:19-20 (ESV)

Temporary Joy Vs. Eternal Joy

"Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in Heaven."

Jesus sent out seventy-two willing believers who healed people, preformed miracles, and even cast out demons in His name. They must have been ecstatic that they, "ordinary people," received such authority under God. Jesus rejoices with them, but also gives a slight nudge to realign their thinking patterns. He knew that if they only rejoiced in the "good times," then their joy would be snatched away the moment the rough waters of life swept them off their feet. Instead, "rejoice that your names are written in Heaven." The power of this promise is much greater; for this promise is eternally theirs forever. It is not dependent on the temporary, but has strength to pull them through their darkest days, by focusing on the eternal hope in Christ. 

As a follower of Jesus, I long to see myself being a vessel for God to work the extraordinary, which He can, and I would welcome Him to it. But my joy must come from a much deeper well, so that when my "hour has come" to endure the storm, I can still rejoice in my eternal destination that does not change upon my circumstances.

"Lord Jesus, thank You that my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life through my faith in You. Take my life and use it as You will. Thank You for giving me authority in Your Name. Let me be obedient and joyful in all circumstances; watching and praying, "Your Kingdom come. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment