Friday, March 11, 2016

Daily Dependence

March 11 2016
Scripture: Proverbs 30:7-9 (ESV)

Daily Dependence


"Two things I ask of You; deny them not to me before I die: Remove from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be filled and deny You and say, 'who is the Lord?' or lest I be poor and steal and profane the Name of my God."


The first of the two things asked here is somewhat easy to grasp; "to keep me from lying." This leaves only an authentic self, which is a desirable thing. But the second seems a little harder to grasp; "give me neither poverty nor riches." In the world of gain, we want progress not poverty. Besides, isn't richness a sign of God's blessing? The problem is seen in our need and dependence for God. If He blessed us with all we ever needed, we would become forgetful and deny that we even need God because we have all we would ever need and more. So then, we should desire to be poor? Not quite, if we become so desperate that we steal and cheat to get what we need, we profane and disgrace the Name of our God.

This reminds me of Exodus 16, where the people of Israel were depending on God in the wilderness to give them manna that was dropped down from Heaven. God would always drop enough for everyone for that day, but when some tried to save extra in their tents over-night, they would find nothing but maggots in the morning. 

I must learn to develop the Daily Dependence for all my needs; seeking not to become rich and independently sustained apart from God, but seeking righteousness, not richness. 

"Lord Jesus, I thank you for promising that You will take care of me. Help me to become daily dependent, seeking You rather than what I can gain from You. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment