Friday, March 25, 2016

Sacrifice Saves

March 25 2016
Scripture: Luke 22:19-20 (ESV)

Sacrifice Saves

"And He took bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them saying, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.' And likewise the cup after they had eaten saying, 'This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.'"

On the evening of the Passover Feast Jesus shared the table with His disciples for one last meal. On this night it was traditional for Jews to kill and eat a lamb, spreading the blood on the doorpost of their house in remembrance of when the Israelites left the land of Egypt, no longer slaves, but a free people. In their culture sacrifice saves. They would kill many animals to atone for their unholiness and rebuild relationship with the Holy God. But Jesus set in place a new celebration and a new covenant. Later that evening, He would become the lamb to be killed, His body broken, His blood poured out on the cross. Sacrifice Saves. Because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, He was able to liberate us from sin and death, and bring us into God's kingdom a free people, through His rising again to life on the third day. So He tells his disciples, and all Christians, to eat bread and drink remembering our day of freedom, our spiritual Independence Day!

In my life, that celebration is not always what it should be. I'm very much guilty of eating dry bread and drinking grape juice without really remembering the lamb who made my freedom possible. In Canada Remembrance Day is BIG. It is a little bit like the USA Veterans Day, but the whole nation, town by town, takes this day to remember those who died to protect their freedom. They take a time to celebrate with a solemn and sweet atmosphere remembering, "sacrifice saves". If I would take the time to honor the people who died for me, how much more should I celebrate the God who died for me? I will approach the table of Communion with a humble gratitude for the act that saved me not just in this life, but the heavenly life to come.

"Lord Jesus, thank You for being the sacrifice that saves us. Help me to live remembering and celebrating what You did. Thank You for letting Your body be broken and Your blood spilled out that I might have a relationship with the God who created me and loves me. I will remember. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment