Monday, May 2, 2016

Peace of Mind

May 2 2016
Scripture: Isaiah 26:3-4 (ESV)

Peace of Mind

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord is an everlasting rock."

Peace of mind must have been harder to come by back then, than it is today. Big intimidating nations like the ruthless Moab were always before the Israelites. Isaiah prophesies of the great day when God will make all things right, and the Song of Judah would be one of peace. Perfect peace will come to the one whose mind is fixed on God rather than the present circumstances. God is an everlasting rock who is trust-worthy forever. All people will pass away and will eventually be forgotten by the living, but God is everlasting, the Beginning and the End (Rev 22:13). When trust is placed in this amazing God, He promises a peace beyond all understanding (Philippians 4:7).

I remember a giant rock at my summer youth camp that we called the "Rock of Ages", because it was so large and unmovable that it must have been there for ages. Every year I returned to camp, I would sit on, stand on, jump off of, the Rock of Ages. I depended on it being there, because it was a great spot for spending quiet time with God. I remember spending tranquil moments of peace with God, surrounded by the beauty of nature, sitting on the Rock of Ages.  

God is my Rock of Ages, never moving or changing in character (Malachi 3:6). He is perfectly dependable, and when I focus on Him, I have peace. But sometimes I lose that peace because my mind wanders from my Rock of Ages and forgets His dependability. It's up to me to keep my mind fixed on the Rock, and God will grant the peace.

"Lord Jesus, thank You that You are my Rock that is everlasting. Help me to keep focused on You instead of my circumstances. You have perfect peace, let me find it in You. Amen."

(Rock of Ages - Riverside Bible Camp)

No comments:

Post a Comment