Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A True Mission for Youth Ministry

May 31 2016
Scripture: Psalm 71:17-18 (NIV)

A True Mission for Youth Ministry

"Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come."

In the Youth Ministry World  a lot of effort can go into cultural relevancy, professional programming, strategic social media usage, and such, all in attempts to get teenagers interested in coming to church. These are all great tools for ministry and I believe it's important to think about and implement such things. For me though I found a great reminder within my Bible when I was reminiscing with King David in the Psalms today. David hits a great point in his reflections to God his Divine Teacher, when he states a purpose, or a lifetime goal of declaring God's power to the next generation, His mighty works to all who are to come. 

Now I know that Kind David was never a Youth Pastor, but I believe his words summarize the true mission for youth ministry, and a personal mission for life as a Christian as well. This was very refreshing for me to be reminded that the most important thing about youth ministry is not the lights sounds, relevancy, or ministry strategies, but to simply "declare God's power and love to the next generation and to all who are to come." The means by which I get the message out can never replace the message itself. 

"Lord Jesus, thank You for the reminder that my goal in life and ministry is more than the temporary things of this earth, but the eternal life that can only be found in You. Let me do all for Your glory and always keep the power of the gospel at the forefront of my efforts in ministry. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment