Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Weak, The Called, and The Qualified

April 9th 2016
Scripture 1 Corinthians 1:28-29 (ESV)

The Weak, The Called, & The Qualified

"God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God."

When I was called to serve as a pastor in ministry, I didn't have a lot going for me. I wasn't the most popular charismatic person among my peers. I struggled with some form of social anxiety in front of groups in all situations, except playing my guitar on the worship team at church. In fact, in high school I worked in the kitchen at Pizza Hut, where I was glad I didn't have to deal with people. And trust me, in ministry you have to deal with people a lot! 

All this to say, I didn't seem very qualified for the ministry. When I felt called to be a Youth Pastor, I am pretty sure a few members at my Dad's church scratched their heads, wondering how that would work out. I would have too. I wasn't qualified, or so I thought. The truth of the matter is that I wasn't qualified because of my great skills, but just maybe because of my lack of skills. God, more often then not, chose the weak to work though rather than the strongest or the wisest. As Henry Blackaby said once, "The Lord never calls the qualified, He qualifies the called." This way we humans don't get a fat head. I cannot boast about me, because it's not about me, but God who works through me. He deserves the glory, because He helped me do things I didn't believe I could do. 

So next time I view myself as weak and unqualified, I can claim the promise that "His power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9). When I am weak, He is strong. 

"Lord Jesus, thank You that You take my weakness and turn it into Your strength. Help me to give all the glory back to You, so that I do not boast in myself. Let Your power be made perfect in my weakness. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment