Monday, April 18, 2016

Humble Your Hatchet

April 18th 2016
Scripture: Isaiah 10:15 (ESV)

Humble Your Hatchet

"Shall the axe boast over him who hews with it, or the saw magnify itself against him who wields it? As if a rod should wield him who lifts it, or as a staff should lift him who is not wood."

The Lord decided to use the king of Assyria to bring about desperation and humility among the people of Israel. But this king was not exempt from God's justice; for his pride was his downfall. The Lord knew that the king of Assyria would take all the credit for himself, claiming that it was his wisdom and his strength that brought him victory. Silly little hatchet...

This is what happens when the creation tries to play as the creator. It seems silly to us to think an axe could boast over the person who wields it, or a saw over the carpenter, or the car over a driver, or a book over it's author. So too is it silly to think that a human is greater than Creator God. Every good and perfect gift is from above (James 1:17). If we receive a seed, we can till the soil, and water the ground, but only God can make it grow. 

We were created on purpose for a purpose. Until I come to grips with who I am and who God is, I will never see that purpose come to its full light. Imagine if the king of Assyria had humbled himself before God; he might have led his people and the people of Israel into a great revival back to the Lord, because of his earthly power and status as king. But "the haughty looks of man shall be brought low, and the lofty pride of men shall be humbled, and the Lord alone will be exalted in that day" (Isaiah 2:11). 

"Lord Jesus, thank You for creating me with a purpose. Help me to be full of praise rather than full of myself. Let me be humble in all I do, because without You I can do nothing. Take me and use me to do Your will. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment