Thursday, January 5, 2017

Asking for a Blessing

January 5th 2017
Scripture: Judges 1:14-15 (ESV)

Asking for a Blessing

"When she came to him, she urged him to ask her father for a field. And she dismounted from her donkey, and Caleb said to her, “What do you want?” She said to him, “Give me a blessing. Since you have set me in the land of the Negeb, give me also springs of water.” And Caleb gave her the upper springs and the lower springs."

Caleb's daughter, Achsah, urged her new husband, Othniel, to ask her father to give them a blessing; land on which to build a home. After realizing that Othniel was going to keep his mouth shut, she did something that was a little taboo in her day and age. She dismounted her donkey and asked Caleb herself. In a male dominated culture, it was not a woman's place to speak her mind freely. I can imagine what fear she must have felt to step out against the culture's expectations, and wondering what her father would think of her for asking. But she did not receive a judgemental "No, shame on you!" What happened? He gave her the upper AND lower springs! Much more than she must have expected or ever needed. 

When I think of my father, he is always wanting to bless me; sacrificing his time, resources, and energy, to bless me with whatever he is able to give. Why? Because he loves me and wants the best for me. But sometimes when I think about God, I feel that asking Him for something would be out of place, or insignificant to Him. But God loves me, and wants to bless me. A lot of times I have not because I ask not. 

God's answer will not always be "Yes", for He sees the bigger picture and desires the best for my life, which means I must let go of something good I want, for something greater. But there is no harm in asking anyways.

"Dear Lord Jesus, help me to have courage to approach Your throne with confidence. Remind me that like my earthly father, You are looking for ways to bless me. Help me to accept Your answer as the best answer whether "Yes" or "No". Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment