Thursday, September 22, 2016

In the Quiver of The Archer

September 22, 2016
Scripture: Isaiah 49:2b (ESV)

In the Quiver of The Archer

"... He made me a polished arrow; in His quiver He hid me away."

Isaiah the prophet talks about the fact that God designed him for a purpose from his mother's womb, and has made it clear to him. He was made with a tongue like a sword to reach the rebellious people of Jacob and Israel and bring them back to the LORD, their first love. He portrays himself as a polished arrow in the quiver of an archer ready to be sent out at a moments notice.

I've recently started watching a TV series called "Arrow" based on Green Arrow, a super hero from DC Comics who uses his archery and combat training to make his city safe and take on the "bad guys". Unlike the primitive version of archery that might be stuck in your head with rocks tied to the ends of sticks, this archer has a hi-tech arsenal of different kinds of arrows: explosive arrows, arrows that record conversations, computer hacking arrows, freezing arrows, grappling-hook arrows, you name it. He keeps all his arrows on his back in a holding container called a quiver, all within an arm's reach, ready for action.

God has made us like a polished arrow, each uniquely designed for a specific purpose. He may not choose to put us into play in every situation, but we must be ready in case he chooses to send us out to hit the bullseye. There are two things that we can do while we wait in the quiver of The Archer.

First, Stay Sharp: just like a knife, or a saw, arrows need to be sharpened if they hope to be effective when sent out. We need to stay sharp, knowing the world's needs, having an answer to the tough questions with biblical knowledge and wisdom. In 1 Peter 3:15 it says, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." Arrows must be sharp.

Second, Stay Near: What good would an arrow be if The Archer reaches back and finds that the arrow He was looking for was not in the quiver? We must stay near to God so we can hear His Spirit's voice calling for us to spring into action. I don't know about you, but if God is reaching to send me out, I want to be found hidden within His quiver, right where He expects me to be. 

"Lord Jesus, I thank You that You designed me for a specific purpose. Help me to stay sharp and stay close so that I will be ready when you pull back the bowstring. Give me wisdom, and give me ears to hear Your voice calling me out of the quiver. Amen."

1 comment: