Friday, August 26, 2016

Surrender Control

August 26th 2016
Scripture Matthew 26:39 (NIV)

Surrender Control

"Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, 'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.'”

 
I don’t know about you but I like to be in control. I am very happy when things turn out very closely or exactly how I planned. But in the ideal world I have an unlimited amount of energy and strength. This however is not the ideal world… We have hick ups, we make mistakes, we cling towards being self absorbed and when things don’t go our way, we come to the stone hard truth that we aren’t in control.

I really love the superhero Superman. Not only is his character solid, doing good, expecting no reward, but I love that he is SUPER. He has super speed, he has super strength, he has super hearing, he can fly into outer space. He practically has no limits. What can’t he do? Right?

But there is one problem... I’m not superman, and there are things that no amount of "will power" can overcome… They say, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” I don’t necessarily think that is true in every case. In some cases no matter how much you "will" something and try to make it happen, it doesn’t… because some things are simply out of your control.

For me when I face things that I can’t control, I react in one of two ways. I have anxiety and try to hyper-control my surroundings trying to force my will to feel like I have control of something. OR I get discouraged and give up and I invite myself to a party…my pity party. You can come too, but let me tell you, no one ever has fun at a pity party. Neither of these ways are a good way to deal with the things you cannot control.

But Jesus gave us a third option, which is better than the other two, by far: Surrender.

when Jesus is in the garden right before his crucifixion praying his heart out to God. He was so troubled that He sweat drops of blood (Luke 22:44). This guy was distressed. He prayed that God would take the cup that He was to bear away, asking for any other way… But then He says a phrase that is remarkable. "Yet, not as I will, but as You will." Jesus let the Father know His human preference, but was still willing to surrender His will for the Lord's will, which are one and the same.

So my question is "Who is really in The Chair of your life?" Does God's will and plan for your life trump your own? I came across this book titled “God’s my co-pilot” You know what I have to say to that? "Buddy, if to you God is really just a co-pilot you need to switch seats. Because there can only be one person in control, it’s either you, or its Jesus."

 God has given me control over one person; Me, Myself, and I. I am in control of my actions and my attitudes. So all I really should do is Try my best, and Trust God with the Rest. Because I can't control those things anyways. 

"Lord Jesus, I know that You have a great plan for my life with a purpose. Help me to let go of the things I cannot change and trust that You will work all things for the good of those who love You. I give it over to You to do as You will. I trust Your judgement over mine. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment