Thursday, March 9, 2017

Bread of Life

March 9th 2017
Scripture: John 6:66-67 (KJV)

Bread of Life

  "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?"

Jesus taught one of His toughest teachings about living the Christian life to His multitudes of so-called "disciples"; that He himself was the Bread of Life. Anyone who did not eat his flesh and drink his blood could not have true life in them. Now, come on, you can't say this teaching isn't a bit strange... 

But there is a deeper meaning here, as Jesus' words always do. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. His "blood" spewed from his body and his "flesh" torn open like a loaf of bread. Bread (food) is life; for we could not live long without food to keep us going. We need water to survive. Spiritually speaking, we need Jesus like we need food and water, if we have any hopes of gaining eternal life. Yet "...many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him."

What really strikes me is Jesus' question to his 12 closest disciples, "Will you also go away?" This question cuts to the heart, because so many times I find myself relapsing in my faith. I no longer walk with Jesus, but go off on my own trail and do my work for Jesus. It is so easy to lose my venturing and devoted walk with Jesus. One day, two days, skip a few more, and I find myself yards away from Jesus' side. I don't notice it at the time that its happening, but each step I take away from walking alongside Jesus in my daily relationship with him, I slowly starve myself spiritually. I start asking, "what am I going to do?" instead of, "Lord, what do you want me to do?" I lose my sense of dependency and devotion to him. In all realities, we need Him by our side, every step of the way. For He alone is the bread that gives us life.

"Lord Jesus, I thank You that You are always ready to pick up right where we left off, no matter how far I stride. Help me to realize daily how much I need your word, just like I need food and water and air. You alone are my Bread of Life, let my spirit relish our times together. Amen."

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Just what the doctor ordered...for all of us! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete